59. Cannibal Corpse- The Wretched Spawn- The ninth album by the reigning death metal's masters of gore has a sick/ kick ass cover by Vincent Locke. In it, a nude woman, surrounded by monsters, gives birth to a monster that rips right out of her.
58. Sodom- Persecution Mania- The second album from these German thrashers saw them moving away from the black metal and Satanic themes of the first album and into war and politics. The cover of a solider with a gas mask and an M16 assault rifle perfectly captures that.
57. Death- Scream Bloody Gore- The debut album, and first true death metal album in the world, from the fathers of that brutal subgenre is a classic. And, also classic is its' grim reaper filled cover.
56. Kreator- Phantom Antichrist (deluxe edition)- While both covers are cool, I'll give the edge to the deluxe edition of the thirteenth studio album by these German thrashers. The fantastical cover has their mascot seemingly ruling over a mystic land.
55. Morbid Angel- Blessed Are the Sick- The second release from this Floridan death metal act is a classic. It is also the first death album, that I ever bought, and as such has a special place in my dark heart. The amazingly beautiful and evil cover is from the painting "Les Trésors de Satan" by Jean Delville.
54. Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power- This sixth album from Pantera is one of the greatest ever made in the history of the genre. And, it's vicious photographic cover by Brad Guice, where a man gets punched in the face (reportedly he got hit thirty times!!), really captures the raw power and brutality from this classic.
53. Exodus- Tempo of the Damned- The sixth album by these thrashers has a cool cover that is seemingly inspired by the Phantom of the Opera.
52. Suffocation- Pinnacle of Bedlam- The seventh studio effort by Suffocation has one of my favorite covers from last year. Artist Raymond Swanland gives us a monster holding flaming scales.
51. Dimmu Borgir- In Sorto Diaboli- Dimmu bookends this part of my list with their eighth studio effort. In it's cover we see a Baphomet with boobs. Which proved too much here in the US, where it had to be covered by a slipcase. Regardless, or more so because of the controversy, this remains a beautiful, cool, and evil cover by artist Joachim Luetke.