Entertainment Earth

5/22/2017

Five Points Festival 2017, Part 1

On Sat, May 20, 2017, I attended the first day of a brand new, annual convention called Five Points Festival at Pier 36, NYC. This new event had a very fun and more relaxed and intimate feel than many of the larger comic cons. Devoid of celebrity guests, it focused more on comics, and even more on toys making this a wonderful experience, especially for those who are just looking for a kick ass and yet chill con experience. My only really complaint is the heavy lack of cosplay. There was hardly anyone who did it. But, I did cosplay as the Punisher, which I had not since Oct. Anyway, on to some of my favorite things that I saw at the con.
 
The gruesome statues you see above are from a collaboration between James Groman and Instinctoy. King Corpse has too be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. As a lifelong horror and monster fan, a zombified version of King Kong is everything!

The Sectaurs are coming back via a kickstarter. They are returning courtesy of their creator Tim Clarke and Tim Clarke Toys. I LOVED the Sectaurs as a kid! The cool bug toys are some of the best of the 80s, but are sadly underrated. Regardless, this campaign will have a special place in my heart. He also had some of his other toys on display.
 
One of my favorite things that I saw at Five Points has to be the oh so very cool, imganitive, and cute, work from The Naughty Rabbit. Hand crafted by the lovely and talented Elizabeth Holmes, these adorable bunny figurines cover a bunch of pop culture characters. They range through Star Wars, Back to the Future, The Guardians of the Galaxy, horror characters (both modern and classic Universal), and more. They are so fucking awesome! It is clear that she puts a lot of care and time into her work. She also does commissions. My favorite, in case you are wondering were Chewbaca and the Gillman from Creature from the Black Lagoon. Be sure to follow her on her Facebook, for more: https://www.facebook.com/rabbitashes/

Another truly awesome booth was House of Darkly. They had hand made plush dolls by the lovely and super talented Anne Kirn. She was on hand with her mom at the show. Both were very sweet and courteous, and I just loved her work! While, I was present she was busy making a specially fluffy guy (right). My favorite of her, has to be the Craft Beer, which you can see her holding up in the directly below pic. Be sure to go to her site for more info: https://twitter.com/house_of_darkly
 
 
 
 
The last booth that I will be talking about today is DC Collectibles. They had a couple of cool and highly stylized upcoming statues of iconic DC comics heroes and villains, including Catwoman, Batman, Superman, the Joker, and Harley Quinn.

 
 
 
 

To be continued...

2 comments:

PiercingMetal Ken said...

I must admit that I really enjoyed this convention as well and it reminded me a lot of the now cancelled for the time being event "Special Edition NYC". I know you attended that one and miss it as well so perhaps you can relate. My hope is that this one did well enough for the organizers to consider running it again. I thought this was the perfect event space as well. My report is coming soon to my website which I hope your readers will take a look at as well when it posts. Cheers.

Giovanni Deldio said...

Yes, it definitely reminded me of special edition, which I too would love to see return. But, if not, we still have this again next year.
I look forward to your coverage, Ken!