Entertainment Earth

3/22/2016

Megadeth at Terminal 5 NYC 3/17/16

This past St. Patty's day, I had the luck to attend the second of two straight days of the mighty Megadeth's NYC dates at Terminal 5. They have been one of my personal favorite bands since I was a young teen, but this was my first time seeing them in concert. And, I can honestly say that the show fucking ruled!

The first band I got to see their full set was another one, I had wanted to see perform live for ages, Finnish melodic death metal masters, Children of Bodom! They played a couple of songs off of their latest release, I Worship Chaos, including the kick ass title as well some classics. Among those was a blistering live performance of one my favorite songs of theirs: "In Your Face". That song is so fucking badass! Their performed amazingly on this night. CoB are such a technically awesome band, with talent that just drips out of every instrument that they touch. And, their signer/ guitarist Alexi Laiho, has long been one of my heroes.
 
 
Up next is the only band, I had seen before live, coincidentally at the very same venue a couple of years back: crossover thrash metal legends Suicidal Tendencies! From the first song, the classic "You Can't Bring Me Down" to the closing song, "Pledge Your Allegiance" (one of my favorite songs, of all time!), they killed it onstage!! And, there is no denying that front-man Mike Muir is the fucking man. He spent the whole show running and moving around from one side of the stage to the other. Not to mention he said some pretty cool/ inspirational things between songs. Former Slayer and legendary drummer Dave Lombardo played for them about a song or two into the set. It was AWESOME to see him with ST!! They'll be back for a headliner show, in the fall, I think he said. I hope to be there!

 
Soon it was time for one of the greatest metal bands of all time, a member of The Big Four: Megadeth!! The set opened with the technically awesome "Hanger 18", while alien autopsy footage played in the background. They ran some cool video images with all their songs. The set-included songs of off their awesome new album Dystopia, including the title track, "The Threat Is Real", my favorite track off the album- "Post American World", and others. Of course, they played classics, too, like "Trust", "Wake Up Dead", "Sweating Bullets", "In My Darkest Hour", and more.
They closed off the night with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Is Due". Throughout the whole, they proved that they are one of most technically amazing bands in all of rock and metal, and that they are just so amazing live. My only complaints are that they never played the last part of "Peace Sells", instead going right into the aforementioned "Holy Wars", and that they didn't play something off of Youthansia. Alternately, thank God they played nothing off of the preceding two albums (TH1RT3EN and Super Collider) or Risk. Anyway, the point is they are metal gods and played as such that night. A great tour, that if you can catch, you simply have to!
 
 
 

0 comments: