Entertainment Earth

11/08/2015

Remembering the Original Leatherface- RIP Gunnar Hansen

It is with heavy heart that I write that Gunnar Hansen, whose most legendary role was that of Leatherface in Tobe Hooper's horror masterpiece The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, has passed away at age 68.

I found out the heartbreaking news this morning and was devastated. Gunnar was born on March 4, 1947 in Reykjavik, Iceland. He came to the US when he was five. He made his acting debut in what would be his most legendary role, that of the aforementioned Leatherface. Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre remains the single scariest movie (as well as a personal favorite of mine) that I have ever seen, and it is in no small part thanks to Hansen's performance.
Said role would make him a horror legend and lead him to do many horror conventions. It is at an old Fangoria Weekend of Horrors that I met him, when I was a kid. I remember him being so nice and friendly in person. It was clear to me that he loved meeting his fans.

He also starred in various other horror films, a couple of which were undoubtably directly inspired by Chain Saw. My favorite of those has to be Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, which I only just saw this year. Also worthy of mention is the fun, sexy, and bloody Chainsaw Sally.

He died of pancreatic cancer yesterday, Nov. 7, 2015 and will be surely missed. RIP, Gunnar and rev up that chainsaw in heaven. One more thing, FUCK CANCER!

0 comments: