Entertainment Earth

4/04/2015

FANGORIA COVER TO COVER Signing at Forbidden Planet 4/2/15

Fangoria is one of the most important magazines in my entire life. Not only did it fuel and influence my love of horror, but it was the first place that I would eventually end up getting published in. As such, the concept of a hardcover book featuring the covers from the mag was one that really appealed to me. And, as such I was excited for the new Fangoria Cover to Cover, which is just that. I was even more excited to see that my favorite comic-book shop, Forbidden Planet, was gonna have a signing with many from the magazine's past and present contributors and horror luminaries, including my friend Debbie Rochon.

I got there about a half hour before it started and waited in line. It started a little late as the legendary Dick (Gremlins 1 & 2, The Terminator) Miller wasn't feeling well and had to leave. Thank God, I met him years ago at one of the old Fangoria Weekend of Horrors conventions! As always, it was great to talk to my fellow horror fans on the line, as we waited. Also, the Quick Bunny, randomly holding Thor's hammer Mjolnir showed up and entertained us.

Tom Savini didn't show up, while I was there but did after I left. Oh, well, doesn't matter. I've met him many times, before. The people that were there were: Tony Timpone (who was the editor of Fango for the longest run, so far and edited this book), Anthony Ferrante (who has toiled in the magazine and directed Sharknado among other movies), Michael Gingold, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (who wrote Afterlife with Archie), legendary horror/ cult director Frank Henenlotter, horror director Larry Fessenden, scream queen Debbie Rochon, legendary artist Basil Gogos, director Jeff (Squirm) Leiberman, among many others.

One of my personal favorite directors, Frank Henelotter has made the Basket Case Trilogy, Frankenhooker (which he signed my blu-ray copy of!), Brain Damage (my absolute favorite of his, which I made sure to tell him), Bad Biology, and other great films. I was so happy to finally meet him!

Fango's two Tonys! My fellow Italians: Anthony Ferrante and Tony Timpone.

I was so happy to see Debbie, once again. It had been a long time since I has last seen her at the last Saturday Nightmares that had been held. I was so happy to see and talk to her for a bit. She asked how the writing was going for me and was happy for my success. Debbie is so sweet and awesome. I am proud to call her a friend. She also signed my blu-ray copy of Return to Nuke Em High Vol. 1. 
 
 
 
I was quite honored to meet the one of my favorite artists: Basil Gogos. His work has graced the covers of the classic monster magazine Famous Monsters of Filmland. That magazine was so important in the creation of Fango, itself. He has been in the pages of Fango, too, of course.

 

I had such a blast at this event! I love horror and will love it forever. Glad I got this book and expect a review coming soon!

0 comments: