I realize that I am bit late with this list, but the truth is I have been extremely busy with my writing, so I wish to excuse myself to my fellow and loyal readers. Regardless, with the Oscars on tonight, I felt this was the moment for me to show my picks. As always, mine go against what a mainstream critic would ever pick, but that's cause I ain't one. I would like to think that is part of the reason you guys enjoy reading my words.
As a whole, I found that last year had some good stuff, but I avoided, or at least tried to avoid the truly horrid shit. Anway, enjoy my list and go see all of them. And, if you already have revisit them!
10. Dead Hooker in a Trunk- Fun, energetic, wild, over-the-top, insane, bloody, these are just some of the words I can use to describe the Soska twins' debut movie. The fact that the lovely sisters directed, wrote, produced, and acted in it makes that much more impressive. In all, this one of the best indie/ underground horror releases in a long time. And, I think they will only get better as American Mary is one of my most hotly anticipated movies of next year.
9. Bereavement- Stevan Mena's own superior prequel to Malevolence is a nasty, dark, brutal, and mean-spirited romp that pushes buttons that not many movies have the balls to do so. It also happens to feature some solid acting from a good cast. Easily ranks as one of the best, if not the best, prequel in the horror genre.
8. Scream 4- I seriously had my doubts about this one. It had a lot going against including cast changes, the fact that Craven's recent out-put had been shit, including the preceding installment of this franchise which was utter filth, that self-reflective slasher films had run their course ages ago, and this was many years to late. But, this movie rose above that becoming the best in said series since the original. It's well acted, smart, well written, violent, funny, fun, and has a delicious female cast. One of the most pleasant surprise of last year.
7. Captain America- I had my doubts about this one, despite being a fan of Captain America since childhood. I mean all other attempts were shit! But, long and behold, this was an exciting, fun movie. The acting and action scenes are solid and well done, and the character is done with respect, never coming off as corny, which it completely could have. Also, Hugo Weaving is an awesome Red Skull!
6. The Mechanic- This bloody good remake of the Bronson movie of the same name is a rocking good time. Statham is just badass in the lead role and the flick moves a quick and exciting pace. The ultra-violent set pieces give the movie that extra kick in the ass that just puts it over the top. Maybe the best remake in the action movie genre, ever.
5. Yakuza Weapon- This might be the wildest and bloodiest movie of the year! An incredibly fun movie that stands as the best of the over-the-top splatter-style films to from Japan since The Machine Girl. While, that remains my favorite of them, this one comes close to topping it. Our hero is a fucking badass all the way, and his love interest in the movie is a goddess. It hits DVD and blu-ray this year, so get out there and buy it. Yes, I said buy it. Don't just fucking rent it!!
4. Drive- Some movies get a lot of hype but don't deserve it. This one does. Stylish, ultra-violent, exciting, with excellent directing, acting, and editing, this one of those times me and the critics agree. It's destined to become a modern classic. A great indie action film that I simply adored practically every frame of. And, I have to admit, of all the heroes I seen in movies this year, this is the one I wanted to be the most like. Well other than the fact that I really wish I was the hero in Yakuza Weapon cause he had the hottest love interest of the year. But, yeah other than that, I want to be the Driver! And, I want his jacket, too!!!
3. The Woman- Holy shit is this movie amazing or what?! Brutal, shocking, nasty, and very powerful, this might be Lucky (May) McKee's best work yet. It's very unflinching, but it also stands as great feminist horror. Some of the year's best and most shocking moments from the genre are featured here. This movie seriously needs to be seen by each and everyone of you. Provided you can take it, you will see an excellent film.
2. Warrior- Hey, another one the critics and I agree on! Shocking! But, come on this is just a great film. The best of it's kind since The Wrestler. But, this is not just a great MMA movie (and I can say this because I am a HUGE MMA fan) but a great film period!!!
1. Hobo with a Shotgun- To me this is THE best film of the year. Ultra-gory, funny, unpc, wild, over-the-top, nasty, crazy, stylish, but yet with a lot of heart. This movie loves the films that inspired it, and it shows. The cast is just great. Haur is clearly the man. I loved everything about this movie. This is one of the only top 10 lists, that compensate all genres, that probably has this as it's #1 pick. But, who cares? This movie fucking rules and that's the bottom line casue the Master said so!!!
Our DC Universe collection : Super Powers
1 hour ago